How do I find the right type of shoe?
With all the different makes and models of running shoes, it’s no wonder people have a difficult time selecting which shoe is right for them. Here are three steps toward finding the right fit:
- Know your foot type.
- Understand what type of shoe your sport demands.
- Know when it’s time to switch out.
How do I know when it’s time to replace my athletic shoes?
Your athletic shoes may be worn out if:
- If you’ve worn them for >500 miles of running or walking
- 45-60 hours of basketball, aerobic dance or tennis
- They show signs of unevenness on a flat surface
How can I reduce the risk of running/walking injuries?
Consider several precautions to reduce your risk of running/walking injury
- Use established training programs that gradually increase distance or time of running and provide appropriate rest.
- Take advantage of orthoses to correct malalignments.
- Add lower extremity strength and flexibility programs to training.
- Select appropriate surfaces for training and introduce changes gradually.