According to the National Safety Council, more than 7 million sports and recreational injuries resulted in emergency room visits in 2017. Often, people become injured by doing too much too soon, not being informed on proper techniques, and not being physically prepared for the level of intensity of a sport.
Here are some basic steps to prevent a sport injury:
- Develop a fitness plan that includes cardiovascular exercise, strength training, and flexibility.
- Alternate exercising different muscle groups.
- Cool down properly after exercise or sports including stretching. Stretching should not be painful.
- Stay hydrated. Drink water to prevent hydration, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke.
- Use the right equipment or gear and wear shoes that provide support and are comfortable.
- Learn the right techniques to play your sport.
- If you do sustain a sports injury, make sure you participate in adequate rehabilitation before resuming strenuous activity.