General Questions

Who is eligible to use the University Health Center?

The University Health Center is funded primarily by student fees. With few exceptions, we serve only students currently enrolled at the University of Oregon. For more information about eligibility, including the optional stop-out fee, visit our "Charges" page.

Do I need an appointment?

Yes. Appointments can be made online through myUOHealth, or by calling 541-346-2770. Students may make an appointment in person, but are not guaranteed a same-day appointment. A nurse is always available to answer any questions or concerns.

Where do I check in for my appointment?

Check in at one of the computer kiosks, and then go to your assigned waiting area (Clinic A, Clinic B, Dental, etc.). If you do not have an appointment, check in at the main reception desk located on the first floor of the health center.

Does the health center have real doctors?

Yes. Our board-certified medical and nursing staffs provide a wide range of primary healthcare services, with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention.

If I'm sick and miss a class, can I get a sick note?

No. University Health Center does not provide excuses for students who miss class due to illness or injury. Students are advised to notify their instructors that they are unable to attend class.

Do I have to have insurance?

No. Health insurance is not required to use the University Health Center. But we strongly recommend that students have insurance coverage because laboratory tests, x-rays, prescriptions, and other aspects of your medical care are not covered by student fees.

I have private health insurance. Do you bill my insurance?

Maybe. The health center is in-network with some insurance companies and will courtesy bill other plans. Students can also request reimbursement from their own insurance company with an itemized bill that we will provide upon request.

How do I get reimbursed from my private insurance company?

The UHC pharmacy and dental clinic can direct bill most private insurance plans. For other medical services, UHC will courtesy bill private insurance companies only after students complete the billing consent form through myUOHealth and register their insurance companies prior to their appointment. Insurance companies will independently process claims per the terms of the plan and pay the UHC directly for approved claims. Any remaining charges should be paid through DuckWeb. We recommend you contact your insurance provider to confirm they will cover services at the University Health Center and how much you can expect to pay out of pocket. 

How do I sign up for the UO Student Health Benefits Plan?

Learn more about our student insurance plan.

How much will my visit cost?

Find information about the cost for services.

Will services at the health center (e.g., birth control, tests for sexually transmitted infections) show on the bill my parents receive? 

We can confidentially bill you, meaning services will not show up on your bill. If you seek insurance reimbursement, your insurance statement will have a detailed list of services rendered. If you pay cash for your appointment, your student account will not be billed. Learn more about our billing options.

When will this appointment show up on my DuckWeb account?

Health center charges are typically applied to your DuckWeb account within one week from the date of service and is listed as the "trans date" on the account. Student accounts allow an additional 30 days to pay the amount owed and lists the due date as the "effective date."

Can my parent or partner come in with me?

Yes, with patient permission. Signed consent may be necessary.

Is there a charge if I miss my appointment?

Yes, the missed appointment fee for a regular visit is $20. The fee for a missed appointment with a specialist (psychiatrist, physical therapy, sports medicine, etc.) is $30. If you miss more than three visits in a term, you will also receive a letter from us.

Where can I park when going to the health center?

We encourage students to walk or bike to the University Health Center. There are many bicycle racks near our entrances. Students can also ride Lane Transit District buses free of charge with their UO ID card. We are located one block south of LTD's EmX bus line. Get off the EmX at the Agate Street station.

If you are driving, there is limited on-street, metered parking around the health center. Parking can be difficult, so we ask that you come early in order to leave yourself enough time to find a spot and avoid parking in spots with restricted time (i.e., 30-minute meters) as this may not allow you enough time for your treatment. In cases of serious injury or impaired mobility, we recommend having a friend or family member drop you off and pick you up.

How do I talk to a live nurse after the health center is closed?

If you are in need of medical care or advice during the times we are closed, simply call the main phone number (541-346-2770) and select option "1" to speak with a triage nurse.

I can't register for classes. Why is there a hold on my account?

The University of Oregon requires that all incoming students be immunized against a number of infectious diseases and complete a tuberculosis (TB) screening questionnaire. This includes proof of immunity or an acceptable form of exemption. Without this information a hold will be placed on registration. Immunization requirements may be waived for students who have certain medical conditions or for non-medical reasons. Please be aware that waived students may be excluded from campus if there is a case of disease that could be prevented by vaccine.

In addition, new international students must complete an insurance compliance form prior to UO course registration.


How does acupuncture work? 

For the last 3,000 years, acupuncture has been used to promote wellness and treat a wide spectrum of health problems. It is the longest continuous form of medicine. It developed over hundreds of years of observation (trial and error).  Over centuries, people noticed that adding heat, pressure, massage, and needles to certain points on the body relieved pain and illness. It was particularly put to the test during war time. It is currently being used by the U.S. military for battlefield injuries, as well as other ailments including PTSD. 

Each acupuncture point has a designated function. For example, there are specific points, or groups of points, for treating headaches, back pain, congested sinuses, allergies, knee pain, depression, lack of concentration, etc. 

The World Health Organization (WHO) recognizes acupuncture as suitable for treating over 200 common clinical disorders.

Do you need to “believe” in acupuncture?

You do not need to follow a belief system for acupuncture to work. Acupuncture is used successfully with animals in veterinary medicine. As far as we know animals don’t have an opinion either way about acupuncture.

Yet, beliefs are powerful. They work towards all types of medicine, therapy, and surgery. This explains why the “placebo effect” may influence the outcome of all therapies.

Is acupuncture painful?

Everyone experiences acupuncture differently. Sometimes patients don’t notice the needles at all. Other times it is momentarily painful. Each patient is treated individually and in a way that is gentle, therapeutic, and effective.

How many acupuncture treatments are necessary to see results?

Like most forms of care, acupuncture is best as a series of treatments. It depends on the condition being treated, but 5-10 treatments is a good, general rule.

Are the needles sterile?

Sterile, stainless-steel needles are used. We only use disposable, single-use needles in the health center.


Is the flu vaccine going to give me the flu or make me sick?

No, a flu shot cannot cause flu illness. The viruses contained in flu shots are inactivated (killed), which means they cannot cause infection. Flu vaccine manufacturers kill the viruses used in the flu shot during the process of making the vaccine, and batches of flu vaccine are tested to make sure they are safe. Some of the most commonly reported symptoms that people experience after receiving a flu shot are: soreness, redness, swelling at the site of the injection, fever, aches, fatigue, hoarseness, cough, or a headache. These symptoms are usually minor, and are limited to a couple of days.

Do I have to restart my shot series if I am overdue for my next shot?

No, you do not have to start your shot series over. Before you start a series of immunizations, in most cases you do not have an adequate amount of antibodies to help protect you from the disease you are being immunized for. Each time you get your shot, it helps your body to build-up more protective antibodies to that particular disease. As long as you finish the series for the particular disease you are being immunized for, you should be fine. If at any time you are not sure if you have enough protective antibodies after completing your series of shots, a blood test called a titer can be done. A titer test is performed to determine if your antibodies are at a sufficient level to protect you from the particular disease you were immunized for.

Can I shower, bathe, and exercise after receiving a shot?

Yes, you may shower or bathe after you receive any shot. As far as exercising goes, we encourage it! Sometimes you can get soreness at the site of the injection, therefore the more you exercise your arm the more quickly the soreness will go away.


How do I get my lab results?  

You can get the results of your laboratory testing from the ordering clinician or the nurse.

Can I get lab work done at the health center for an outside physician or nurse practitioner?  

Unfortunately, we are not able to accept outside orders at this time. Your physician or nurse practitioner may be able to coordinate care with one of our providers. There are also other laboratories that can take outside orders. Please stop by our lab for a copy of the list. We are happy to consult with you on local alternatives.  

Can I order lab work myself? Why do I need a doctor's order? 

Oregon regulations governing laboratories allow for only limited self-referred testing. The only tests that patients at the health center can self-refer for are the cholesterol and glucose screening.

STI testing: What tests do you do? How much do they cost? Turnaround timeline?  

Common tests for STIs include chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes, and HIV. The costs vary according to the specimen type and the test turnaround time. It is possible to have chlamydia and gonorrhea testing performed on a urine specimen, syphilis testing is a blood test, herpes can be tested from a lesion or as a blood test, and HIV can be tested as either blood or oral fluid.

Typical turnaround times for chlamydia and gonorrhea testing range from 36–72 hours.  Low-cost testing under CCare typically takes 5-7 days. Find pricing under our costs for services.

Why do I have additional charges on my account for lab work? 

The cost of laboratory testing is not covered by the health fee; however, the fee does allow us to offer common laboratory tests at a reduced cost in comparison to the outside community.

How expensive is testing at the health center compared to testing in the community? 

Testing at the health center is significantly less expensive than testing in the community. Our goal is to use the student health dollars to leverage cost savings. Our reference labs bill us directly for the work we send out, saving them costs involved in billing. We pass those savings to the students.

Do you offer pre-employment, internship, and travel drug screening? 

We offer only medically indicated drug screening. We can offer students a list of service providers in the community.

Can I get a copy of my lab results? 

Yes. Check with the clinician who ordered the tests or with the Medical Records office.

What do you do for people who faint or are needle-phobic?  

We have a variety of services and solutions to help those with needle anxiety or a history of fainting. Our phlebotomy room is equipped for reclining, the health center has a “therapeutic touch” nurse who can work with anxious patients, and we have a staff of phlebotomists with almost 100 years of combined experience.

Can you tell what type of blood I have? 

We can, but ABO/Rh testing (blood group and type) requires a clinician’s order.

Can I write and use my arm after a blood draw? 

Yes. We attempt to collect blood samples from students’ non-dominant side if possible. The phlebotomist will ask you to keep the bandage on for approximately 30 minutes to minimize post-phlebotomy bleeding or bruising. Phlebotomy should not interfere with any homework or note taking.

Do I need to make an appointment for lab work?  

No. We see students in the lab on a first come, first serve basis. At times there can be a wait for phlebotomy or specimen collection. If your class schedule is tight, check with the lab for optimal times.

What are fasting labs? How long do I have to fast?    

Your clinician will order “fasting labs” for certain tests for which eating or drinking can affect the interpretation of the results. Not all labs require fasting, so ask your ordering physician or nurse practitioner. Fasting means nothing by mouth except for water for typically 8-12 hours. For cholesterol or lipid testing, fasting for 12 hours is ideal.

Is it OK to work out or lift weights after my blood draw? 

The phlebotomist will ask you to keep the bandage on for approximately 30 minutes to minimize post-phlebotomy bleeding or bruising. It also helps if you carry book bags, backpacks, purses, or heavy items in your other arm for that time.

Medical Records

How do I obtain a copy of my medical records?

Please complete the release of information form. Once you have completed this form in its entirety, submit it through myUOHealth or bring a paper copy to the front desk of the health center.

Oregon Contraceptive Care (CCare)

What is CCare?

CCare is a program that is funded by the Centers for Medicaid Services and the Oregon State Department of Human Services through a grant.

This allows University Health Center (UHC) to provide reproductive health care and contraceptive services to all genders who meet certain income criteria.

How do I know if I am eligible?

In order to qualify for the program, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • You must be a US citizen, or have eligible immigration status (see CCare office staff for more information on immigration status eligibility).
  • You cannot currently be enrolled in the Oregon Health Plan.
  • Your monthly income cannot exceed $2,513 for one person and $3,384 for spouse/dependent. This is just your income (before taxes) and does not include your parents’ income, nor does it include any money that is obtained through financial aid (any money that you may be taxed on).

If you meet these requirements, we can enroll you immediately and schedule an appointment for you to meet with a clinician, usually within a couple of days.

How do I enroll in CCare?

CCare enrollment happens at the Insurance desk in the health center. Our office hours are 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

The enrollment process takes less than 10 minutes, during which time you fill out a form, have copies made of your insurance card, (if applicable) and student ID. Schedule an appointment with a clinician for a contraceptive consult.

What services do CCare provide?

CCare will pay for contraceptive management consultations, any contraceptive management visits, a yearly exam for women including pap smear testing, labs that are needed for contraceptive devices, and emergency contraception.

What birth control methods are available?

Oral contraceptives, emergency contraceptive (Plan B), ring, patch, Depo Provera (hormonal injection), IUS (Mirena), IUD (ParaGard), hormonal implant (Implanon), external and receptive condoms, diaphragm, and spermicides are all methods available through CCare.

What services are not covered by CCare?

CCare does not provide treatment for bladder or urinary tract infections, prenatal care, pregnancy confirmation, pregnancy termination, STI testing and treatment.

Where can I go for my contraceptives if I am not eligible for CCare?

You can still come to the UHC for contraceptives. Our pharmacy offers a $15 consultation for oral contraceptives and the hormone patch that can be prescribed by our pharmacist. The cost of the medication is additional. Most oral contraceptives are $25 per month, although some may be more depending on brand name.

Condoms are available free throughout the UHC in fish bowls that you are able to grab at anytime. Non-latex condoms are available upon request at the Nurse Specialty Clinic on the first floor of the UHC. Free sexual health supplies are also available at the Duck Nest wellness center in the Erb Memorial Union (EMU) and at the Student Recreation Center.

What if I have insurance already or I am on a parent's plan?

Students who have insurance that covers contraceptive management can still be eligible for the program if they meet the other criteria.

We will bill your insurance provider and then CCare will pick up your balances for CCare type visits. However, if you are insured under a parent's plan you may request special confidentiality. In this case no insurance billing will go out and CCare will cover all charges.

Feel free to contact your CCare Coordinator for more information at 541-346-2452.

I am not currently enrolled at University of Oregon. May I still enroll?

Only those who have paid fees mandatory fees for the current term are eligible for CCare at UHC.

However, you can still apply for CCare services through Lane County Public Health Department or a Planned Parenthood in Oregon.

To locate a clinic near you, visit the Oregon Health Authority CCare website.

Do I have to fill out a new enrollment form if I am renewing CCare?

Yes. Clients must complete a new enrollment form annually. This will enable us to determine if you are still eligible to receive CCare services.

Do I have to see a clinician before I can get contraceptives?

If you are new to the CCare program at the UHC, you will need to schedule an initial office visit for contraceptive counseling. This appointment takes approximately 40 minutes. During this appointment your clinician will discuss different contraceptive methods. They will help you assist you in making the best choice for you lifestyle. If you are already taking something that you like, they will simply document and re-write so CCare will pay for this.

If an oral prescription is your choice, it will be sent to the UHC Pharmacy, where you can pick it up.

If you need emergency contraception prior to your initial CCare consultation, you may pick up Plan B over the counter at our pharmacy.


I'm new to the UO and need to have prescriptions transferred to the health center. What's the best way to do this?

There are several options. If you have a refillable prescription at another pharmacy, just bring your bottle or receipt to the health center pharmacy and we will transfer it for you. You may also bring a written prescription from your doctor or have your doctor's office phone/fax a new prescription to us. You may also choose to transition care to one of our clinicians and have them write your prescriptions.

What methods of payment do you accept?

We accept cash, check, or credit/debit (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express), or we can bill your student account.  We are unable accept Campus Cash.

Do I have to fill my prescriptions at the UO pharmacy?

We are happy to fill any prescription from eligible students, but you are not required to fill at the health center pharmacy. A list of community pharmacies can be found online or by contacting your insurance provider. 

Physical Therapy, Sports Medicine, and Massage

How long are appointments?

A standard physical therapy or sports medicine appointment is 45 minutes. Your session may be shorter or longer according to your specific needs. Prices will vary accordingly.

Do I need a referral for therapy?

No, you can seek the services of a physical therapist or athletic trainer without a prescription from a physician or nurse practitioner. However, your insurance provider might require a referral to cover your expenses. The UHC offers same-day appointments with sports medicine doctors, who can assess your problem and refer to our physical therapy department. Call the number on the back of your insurance card to determine your insurance benefits. You are responsible for understanding your own insurance benefits prior to scheduling an appointment.

What should I wear?

Wear comfortable exercise clothing such as a T-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. Depending on your condition, you may be asked to change into a gown or shorts for proper evaluation and treatment. If you are being evaluated for running or orthotics, please bring athletic shoes.

Where do I schedule massage?

Massage can be scheduled by calling our front desk at 541-346-4401 or stopping by the department. We are located on the second floor of the University Health Center.

Can I be seen today?

We have a policy of working in acutely injured patients for pain control and stabilization as needed. These are brief appointments. A short wait time may be necessary. You may be able to come in for a regular appointment on the same day you contact us, if there is an opening in the schedule.

I have a massage therapy appointment. What can I expect?

This is a highly professional setting. The utmost care will be taken to ensure your comfort and modesty is maintained. If you have any questions or concerns, please speak with your therapist.

How do I bill my insurance?

University Health Center now offers courtesy insurance billing to our students. Students should check with their insurance company prior to their visit to verify what services are covered by their plan. 

Where can I rent crutches?

Crutches may be rented through the Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine Department, located on the second floor of the health center. 

What is your cancellation policy?

If you cannot keep your appointment, please call us as soon as possible. We realize that sometimes emergencies come up and your plans may change. When you call, we will help you reschedule your appointment. Giving us as much notice as possible helps us to better serve you and our other patients. Should you cancel a session with less than 24 hours notice or fail to show up for a scheduled appointment, you will be charged a no show/late cancellation fee of $30. Please cancel your appointment if you are ill.