The University of Oregon requires that all international students have health insurance to help cover unexpected medical expenses that may arise. International students with existing insurance which meets or exceeds the university’s standards may request a waiver.
To be approved for an insurance waiver, you must provide proof of health coverage which meets the following criteria:
Alternative Health insurance coverage must extend through the entire academic term in which the student is enrolled and meet the following criteria:
- The plan deductible must be $500 or less per accident/illness per year
- The plan must have co-insurance of 20 percent or less
- The plan must treat all claims from the University Health Center as in-network
- The plan must include medical evacuation coverage of at least $50,000
- The plan must include repatriation coverage of at least $25,000
- The plan provides comprehensive coverage without financial caps for the following benefits:
- Immunizations, screenings, and other preventive services consistent with state and federal mandates
- Emergency services, ambulatory patient services, and hospitalizations
- Pregnancy, maternity, newborn care, and breastfeeding coverage
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including counseling and psychotherapy on both an in-patient and outpatient basis
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Prescription medications
- Laboratory and diagnostic services
- Preventive and wellness services (including birth control)
- Chronic disease management
- There are no exclusions in coverage for pre-existing conditions, participation in recreational/sports activities, or mental health conditions
- The plan is compliant with any pertinent state and/or federal mandates
- Foreign plans without a US-based claims administrator will only be considered if they meet the following additional requirements:
- The institution offering the plan has been pre-approved by the University of Oregon as offering financial and administrative assistance to any student so they do not encounter barriers to care relating to a healthcare provider being unable or unwilling to bill a foreign plan/entity
- Plan documents are in English
Requesting a Waiver
- Log into the myUOHealth student portal.
- Username is your Duck ID (email without @uoregon.edu) and password.
- Click on the “Forms” tab in the top menu bar.
- Select “Insurance Waiver Request Form”
- Read the Waiver Terms and Conditions carefully.
- If you still wish to proceed, answer the question, “Do you wish to submit a waiver request form?” with “Yes. I have read, understand, and agree…”
- Select the term(s) you would like to be waived out.
- Select if you have a government sponsored insurance.
- If yes, select your home country or program from the drop down list.
- Provide insurance information.
- Insurance Company Name
- Member ID Number (Policy Number)
- Insurance Company Phone Number
- Enter the date your insurance coverage began
- Enter the date your insurance coverage ends
- Read the consent language.
- Sign the document and use the “Submit” button to finalize your form.
- Finalize your process by uploading a copy of your proof of insurance (insurance card or sponsorship letter).
- Click on the “Upload” tab (top menu bar)
- Choose document you are uploading: Use the drop down menu to select “Proof of Insurance for International Students…”
- Click “Select File” and browse to find your image or choose to take a picture with your phone.
- Click “Upload”
- Your document will appear at the bottom of the page under “Documents already on file”.
Be sure to log out of your session.